- 1 Pata (front or hind leg of a pig including the knuckles)
- 1 bottle of soda (7Up or sprite)
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons patis (fish sauce)
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- Enough oil for deep frying
- Enough water for boiling
- 1. Clean the pork pata by removing all hairs and by scraping the skin with a knife. Wash thoroughly
- 2. Make four to five inch cuts on the sides of the pata.
- 3. In a deep stock pot, place the pata in water with soda and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Then add the baking soda and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 4. Remove the pata from the pot and hang and allow to drip dry for 24 hours. An alternative to this is to thoroughly drain the pork pata and refrigerate for a few hours.
- 5. After the above process, rub patis on the pata and sprinkle flour liberally.
- 6. In a deep frying pot, heat cooking oil and deep fry the pork pata until golden brown.