- 1 kg beef, cut into chunks
- 1 big can (350g) liver spread or ground liver
- 5 onions, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 green peppers, diced
- 3 red peppers, diced
- 4 pieces hot chilli peppers, minced
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- 2 cups beef stock or water
- 1/4 cup cooking or olive oil
- In a pan, saute: garlic and onions in oil. Then add tomatoes, red & green pepper and chilli peppers.
- Add in the beef, tomato sauce, liver spread and water or stock. Salt to taste and let simmer for at least 1 hour or until the beef is tender.
- Add cheese and olives (optional) and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Serve with plain rice.
Instead of beef, goat's meat (kambing) can be used. If goat's meat is used, marinate the meat in vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper for at least 15 minutes.
For a special kaldereta, do not use water or beef stock. Use an equivalent weight of onions to the beef (1 kg of onions : 1 kg of beef). The onions will serve as water to the dish.